At Step by Step Recovery, once your treatment is completed, we want to actively help you to find a
new way to live – whether you are a former client of ours or not.
As part of our New Way To Live scheme, we are hoping to build the UK’s largest, free, peer
mentoring network, so that people like you don’t fall back into addiction. To achieve that, we need
We want COVID to leave us a legacy of easily connecting with others, along with hope that will
extend way beyond the pandemic.
And our aim is to be able to offer a mentor to anyone leaving residential treatment, regardless of the
clinic they’ve attended.
To become a mentor, you will need:
- to be able to give at last an hour a day of your time
- experience of addiction and recovery
- to have a minimum of 12 months clean and sober
- ideally, some experience of leaving residential treatment and an understanding of the
challenges each client faces.
Join our free mentor support programme and we will help you to:
- connect with others to find a mentor if you don’t already have one
- learn first-hand from another person who is stable in their recovery and who is able to
support you once you’ve completed your treatment
- access free training to become a volunteer peer mentor to others
- help you access social groups, events and clubs.
Group treatment director Danielle Byatt, says ex-addicts are currently in desperate need of
additional, remote care and support: “Those leaving treatment go from receiving support 24-
hours-a-day, back to sometimes difficult home lives. We want to build the largest
nationwide, peer mentoring network, so that people don’t fall back into addiction. We know
that relapsing can result in more people dying from an addiction, which is both tragic and
“Pre-COVID, face-to-face aftercare and support groups would be a vital part of an addict’s
ongoing treatment plan. Although meetings are still happening over Zoom, socialising and
building connections with people is something that the pandemic has taken away. The new
scheme is a vital service which will bridge the gap that the virus has left – supporting people
to find a new way to live.”
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest and become part of the New Way to Live movement.